Sunday, May 24, 2009

Big Windows and Dumb Birds

I'm going to begin and end this post with beauty (because the middle isn't pretty.) This is just a smattering of my Bleeding Heart plant. The blossoms are like little hanging jewels....hundreds of them! I love this plant. It is so vibrant and pretty and no matter what I do to it, it comes back even better than it was. Hearty doesn't begin to describe this gem.

Now, on to the ugly side of life here at the Liebel Ranch.

(I'm warning you now that one of the following photos may disturb some of you. There, you've been warned.)

This is part of the back of our house. We have these honkin' big windows. And living in the PNW, of course we have birds. Lots of not-so-bright birds. Now, before you think I'm all mean, realize that I go out every day to check to see if there are eggs in the nest that a very talented bird wove into the underside of our bedroom deck. (For the record, yes there are three of the most beautiful bright blue eggs I've ever seen!)

I really hope this wasn't their Mama. Because she is the latest dumb bird to fly full force into those big honkin' windows and subsequently break her wee little neck. How do I know her neck is broken?

Exhibit A: Sorry, but that is not a natural positioning of the neck on any bird I've seen. Sigh...we've discovered many a twisted little birdie in this area of the backyard. But we also find them under Dano's office window and the dining room window in the front. Seriously, they hit really hard and they leave little feathers hanging sadly on the windows from the impact. My windows have become windows of death. So, my apologies for grossing you out. Just keeping it real here! Let's move on to more beauty and happiness, shall we?

This is the beautiful Mr. and Mrs. Riggins. They're in love (like I really needed to add THAT!)

Welllll, my Missy Laura and her Corey are leaving this cuteness.... ...AND THEY'LL BE HERE FOR A VISIT IN FOUR DAYS!!!

I know, how can they possibly leave those furry babies (what is it with the long, lush tails in that family???) but I think we'll be able to show them a good time. Missy Laura, for taunting purposes only, here is a little teaser of what is to come... FPN (Fire Pit Nights) ~ PNW style! We cannot wait! See you on Thursday!!!

3 comments:

Josie Gramma said...

Poor birds. You could install screens -- the would be less impact on the little creatures. But--your beautiful views would be ruined.
Have fun this week with Laura and Corey.
We are still waiting for the visit to Arizona update.

Julie said...

Awesome! You'll have so much fun!

Laura and Corey said...

i cant wait to see you all! i hope no traumatic bird deaths occur while we are there.